Sunday, November 6, 2011

Alternative for a Bust Dart on a Knit Garment

I don't know about you but I don't find a bust dart (especially for a D cup) attractive on a T-shirt. There's another way, thank goodness!

I usually add an inch to my front pattern piece to accomodate a bust dart. On knits, you can run a row of long stitches, ( I use 5.0 length of stitch) and pull up a little and then ease the front to the back at the side seams and it hardly shows at all.



This is what it looks like on the outside.



This is the finished top.



I hope I didn't over simplify but that's really all there is to it!

Happy sewing from


7 comments:

  1. Oh my Diana, I love this top. The fabric is gorgeous and the sleeve detail is so pretty. What pattern is this? I think I may have it :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea!! I will definitely use your idea on my knit tops. I don't care for the bust darts on knit tops. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely blouse and thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh I am new to your blog, and I LOVE this idea! New follower here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just stumbled across your blog and I must say I love this tip. I really DON'T like darts on knits either and I am so excited to see this alternative solution. I can not wait to try this this weekend!! Thank you for taking the time to do photos and write this blog. Also thank you for the Power Sewing shout out! I have recently joined and love their shows!! I am learning so much and it is much cheaper than my local University classes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would this concept work on the backs of dresses and tunic style tops? I have a fabric bulge on my the back of my waist due to a bit of a swayback before the booty, lol. If I leave it it adds unwanted bulk.

    ReplyDelete