Thursday, January 28, 2010

#8. The Tailor's Awl

The tailor's awl is a very useful little tool to have in your sewing room.



I first read about it in a book I got for Christmas a few years ago called Sewing Secrets From the Fashion Industry by Rodale Press.

I use my awl to help feed thick or heavy fabric through the presser foot.



It is useful to top stitch around corners or the point of a collar. Just stick the point of the awl near the collar point or the corner and "push "it along till it's cleared the feed dogs.

Another use is when inserting sleeves, use the awl to feed the extra fullness of the sleeve to the armhole to avoid puckering.To do this the sleeve has to be on top,and the armscye on the bottom against the feed dog.

There are many other uses for a tailor's awl of course and once you try it you won't be able to get along without it.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE my awl, too! If I'm sewing, it's in my right hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, love my awl. I think I bought it after seeing your article on this site and I'm glad I did as I've found it useful for every project I've done since!

    ReplyDelete